This page provides additional information on Kaan’s academic activities and achievements through out his academic career.
Invited Talks and Workshops
The below list lists invited talks and workshops since 2017.
|August 2022||SIGGRAPH 2022||United States||Optimizing vision and visuals: lectures on cameras, displays and perception|
|July 2022||London Imaging Meeting||United Kingdom||Perceptually Guided Computer-Generated Holography|
|June 2022||Gordon Research Conference||United States of America||Perceptual Realism in Computational Displays|
|May 2022||Universidad Zaragoza||Spain||Perceptually Guided Computer-Generated Holography|
|May 2022||SIGCHI||United States of America||Telelife: A Vision of Remote Living in 2035|
|April 2022||8th Hisar Virtual Coding Summit||Türkiye||Görsel Algı Rehberliğinde Yeni Ekranlar Üretmek|
|November 2021||Optica Frontiers In Optics||United States of America||Towards Unifying Display Experiences with Computer-Generated Holography|
|October 2021||ICCV 2021||United States of America||Towards Unifying Display Experiences with Computer-Generated Holography|
|August 2021||Artilabs||Türkiye||Towards Remote Pixelless Displays|
|July 2021||Optica’s Digital Holography and Three-Dimensional Imaging||United States of America||Towards Remote Pixelless Displays|
|July 2021||University College London Virtual Environments and Computer Graphics seminars||United Kingdom||Towards Remote Pixelless Displays|
|June 2021||Korean Information Display Society (KIDS)||South Korea||Towards Remote Pixelless Displays|
|March 2021||University of Rochester||United States of America||Next Generation Display Technologies for Virtual and Augmented Reality|
|March 2021||University College London UNIT 21||United Kingdom||Next Generation Display Technologies for Virtual and Augmented Reality|
|August 2020||International Meeting on Information Display||South Korea||Next Generation Display Technologies for Virtual and Augmented Reality|
|December 2020||Middle East Technical University Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department||Türkiye||Next-generation Computational Displays|
|September 2020||Optica’s Incubator on Visual Perception in AR/VR||United States of America||Technical panel discussion|
|August 2020||IMID 202O||South Korea||Next generation display technologies for Augmented Reality|
|August 2019||ICCV 2019||South Korea||Eye tracking for next generation displays|
|December 2018||SIGGRAPH ASIA 2018||South Korea||Cutting-Edge VR/AR Display Technologies|
|March 2018||IEEE VR 2018||Germany||Computational Near-Eye Displays|
|March 2018||Sarkaç||Türkiye||Sanal Gerçeklik ve Artırılmış Gerçeklik nedir?|
|November 2017||Standford SCIEN talks||United States of America||Near-eye Varifocal Augmented Reality Displays|
Sample invited talk
I am forever thankful to my collaborators for enabling my scientific journey. I learned a lot from them. They shape and influence my scientific journey.
Review processes. If you are going to invite me to a review process, it is worth to check below list to make sure to maintain a fair review process.
Please also make sure that you understand
my expertise before inviting me to a review process.
For example, I don’t know anything about
sea creatures and their natural habitats or
lifetime of volcanos.
Active collaborators (Conflicts)
Listed people are Kaan’s active collaborators in the last two years in alphabetical order: Ali Özgür Yöntem, Anthony Steed, David Robert Walton, David Swapp, Doğa Doğan, Douglas Lanman, Emrah Bostan, Figen Öktem, Hakan Ürey, Huaishu Peng, Jason Orlosky, Jeeeun Kim, Kenan Bektaş, Kiyoshi Kiyokawa, Koray Kavaklı, Liang Shi, Misha Sra, Nataliya Kos’myna, Nick Antipa, Praneeth Chakravatula, Rafael Kuffner dos Anjos, Rafał Mantiuk, Sebastian Friston, Takumi Kaminokado, Tim Weyrich, Tobias Höllerer, Tobias Ritschel, Yuta Itoh.
For a list of Kaan’s active Post-doctoral researchers, PhD students and MSc students visit Computational Light Laboratory’s people page. Please also remember that I am conflicted with the people in my affliated institutions.
Below list provides research fundings acquired by Kaan since August 2020, which is the time Kaan started his research group, Computational Light Laboratory in University College London.
|June 2022||75000 USD||Meta Reality Labs||Inclusive rendering initiative gift|
|January 2022||N/A||European Union||Starting Grant (Received mark A –high score, project not funded)|
|November 2021||14995 GBP||Royal Society||Research grants 2021 round two|
|November 2020||10000 GBP||UCL-Osaka University Strategic Partner funds||Development of a joint Telelife technology seminar using virtual reality|
Kaan is actively teaching and he tought several courses in the past.
These courses include:
- Invited course at London Imaging Meeting summer school: Optimizing Holograms for Standard Holographic Displays
- SIGGRAPH 2022 Optimizing Vision and Visuals: Lectures on Cameras, Displays and Perception
- COMP0160 Perception and Interfaces (Winter 2022) at University College London
- SIGGRAPH 2018 Cutting-Edge VR/AR Display Techinologies
- IEEE VR 2018 Cutting-Edge VR/AR Display Technologies tutorial
- Invited course at TU Wien on current research in Augmented and Virtual Reality (Winter 2017)
Kaan mentored and supervised listed people below in the past in alphabetical order: Amirhossein Ghanbari Niaki, David Dunn, David Robert Walton, Doğa Doğan, Eric Whitmire, Kishore Rathinavel, Kylee Krzanich, Koray Kavaklı, Oliver Kingshott, Osman Eldeş, Praneeth Chakravatula. Richard Li, Note that this list highlights mentorship and supervision post June 2014 and contains only people that contributed to the scientific knowledge by publishing at scientific venues. To see a full list of people that Kaan has been mentoring within his research group, please visit this link.
Here are my list of academic awards:
- IEEE VR 2021 Best paper nominee (Only 11 papers nominated from over 300 submissions).
- The Optical Society Outstanding reviewer recognition in 2020.
- SIGGRAPH 2019 Emerging Technologies Best in Show award.
- IEEE VR 2019 Best paper nominee (Only 11 papers nominated from over 300 submissions).
- IEEE ISMAR 2018 Best paper award.
- SIGGRAPH 2018 Emerging Technologies Best in Show award.
- SIGGRAPH 2017 Emerging Technologies DC EXPO special prize.
- IEEE VR 2017 Best paper award.
- Koç University Graduate studies excellence award received from head of institute, Prof. Tekin Dereli and the dean, Prof. Ümran İnan of Koç (Also affiliated as a professor at Stanford University), 2014.
- SID Display week 2014 Student travel grant from SEL (Semiconductor Energy Laboratory), Larry and Jane Weber and Larry and Carol Tannas
- International 3D Society New Product award, 2013.
- Merck KGaA Merck Young Scientist Award received from Merck group’s president, Mr. Jürgen König in 2012.
- IMID 2012 Student travel grant from Korean Display Society.
- SEIS I have supervised a term project of two undergraduate students, which was recognized as the best project award from Turkish Health Industry Society in 2012.
- YTÜ IEEE Student branch Best project award from YTÜ’s IEEE student branch among 131 projects; award was given by his excellency, Minister of Science and Technology of Türkiye, 2012.
- TÜBİTAK Solar Car Races 2007 at Hipodrom at Ankara Solar Car Race-Among the 38 team, Won 4 trophies for 1. and 2.places in Ankara Race Arena, 1. and 3., ANOK Race 1. Place, Best Design Prize, Fastest Run for placement.
- TÜBİTAK Solar Car Races 2006 at Official F1 Istanbul Racetrack and Arena Izmir Solar Car Race Among the 38 team, Won 9 trophies for 1. and 2. places in Istanbul Park F1 Race Arena, 1. and 3. Places in Izmir Race Arena, Best Design Prize, 1. and 2. Places in Placing Tours.
Organizations and public demonstrations
- 2021: I helped organizing Optica’s Incubator on Perception in Immersive Technologies.
- 2021: I helped organizing Virtual and Augmented Reality theme at Frontiers in Optics of Optica.
- 2021: I organize a seminar series where we invite leading scientists across various topics.
- 2021: I organize an online discussion group on rendering, perception, displays and cameras with +250 members across globe.
- 2017, 2018, 2019: I held public demonstrations at respected venues and exhibits holding more than ten thousand visitors. These venues and exhibits include ACM SIGGRAPH 2017, ACM SIGGRAPH 2018, and ACM SIGGRAPH 2019.
- 2005-2007: I helped forming a solar race car team during my undergraduate studies at Istanbul Technical University.
Publication Review process
- Technical committe: IEEE ISMAR 2020, ACM SIGGRAPH ASIA 2020, IEEE VR 2021, IEEE ISMAR 2021
- Membership: ACM, SPIE
- Senior membership: Optica
Grant review process
- 2021: EPSRC
Award review process
- MIT News: Invisible machine-readable labels that identify and track objects
- Invisible 3D-Printed Machine-Readable Labels that Identify and Track Objects
- 3D Natives: InfraredTags, Invisible Barcodes Embedded in 3D Printed Objects
- Vision Spectra: Laser Cutter Differentiates Among Materials
- The Next Bytes’ podcast on our sensicut project
- MIT’s new machine learning tool makes laser-cutting safer
- IT Media’s article on our beaming displays
- Upload VR article on our varifocal displays
- Businesswire: Computer Graphics Community Arrives in Los Angeles, Reports Record Numbers at SIGGRAPH 2019
- Shootonline: Marvel’s Victoria Talks SIGGRAPH Diversity
- inpark: SIGGRAPH 2018 concludes with more than 16,000 in attendance
- AWN: SIGGRAPH 2018 celebrates Generations in Vancouver
- UploadVR interview: a short interview at SIGGRAPH 2017 with UploadVR: